The Comox Valley is paradise for seafood lovers. With summer soon coming to an end here on the Pacific West Coast, we only have a few weekends left to host that perfect summer get-together with friends and family. Living on Vancouver Island near ocean side towns like Comox, Courtenay, Royston and Fanny Bay, we have plenty of great local seafood to help make a feast to remember.
Imagine serving your friends and family a wonderfully prepared Pacific salmon fillet barbecued on a cedar plank in your own backyard. Or maybe some fresh crab steamed to perfection with garlic and butter. Below are just some of the places you can visit to help bring that West Coast meal of your dreams to fruition.
- Fisherman’s Wharf at the Comox Harbour – Buy your fish directly from the fishermen when they come in from sea. The only thing better would be catching it yourself! Make sure to visit the Comox Valley Harbour website to see the catch of the day!
- Fanny Bay Osyters – A shellfish farm that grows succulent oysters and clams on the coast line of Vancouver Island. Buy them live in shell or shucked. Other seafood offered depending on availability and season.
- Mac’s Oysters Ltd. – A shellfish farm established in 1947 just off the coast of Vancouver Island in Baynes Sound, Mac’s specializes in the farming of deliciously fresh Pacific Oysters and flavourful Manila Clams.
- Portuguese Joe’s Fish Market – Found in a central location on Comox Road, this traditional fish market has been serving locals and visitors alike for many years.
- Comox Valley Farmer’s Market – The Comox Valley Farmer’s Market opens its doors every Saturday morning year-round and is where you will find some of the valley’s best producers of seafood products. Products typically available include canned BC Albacore Tuna, frozen prawns and shrimp, and smoked Pacific salmon.